Galvanize Redesign

Website redesign for Galvanize

Galvanize offers education courses, co-working space, and events across their 6 physical campuses (with 2 more to open in 2017). Their marketing site served as the first point of contact for all generated leads, and desperately needed an update from the bloated WordPress backbone it has previously been built on. The focus of the redesign was to make it super easy for a user to undoubtedly know everything that Galvanize had to offer, and seamlessly allow them to apply for the product that best fit their needs.

Involvement
UX Design
UI Design
Front-end Pattern Library

Client
Galvanize

Date
Nov 2016 - Mar 2017

Credits
Galvanize Dev Team

G.com_ProjectOverview1G.com_ProjectOverview1
G.com_ProjectOverview2G.com_ProjectOverview2
Design Sprint

To kickoff the redesign project, we decided to run a 5-day Design Sprint and focus specifically on a prospective Web Development Immersive student. I ran this sprint with the participation of 6 other stakeholders for the design project. The idea behind the sprint was to quickly solve and test design problems related to the educational product, then extrapolate on this tested idea for the other products Galvanize offers. To do this, we interviewed different stakeholders and people involved in the prospective student life cycle. From this, we generated a User Journey map and picked the most important step in that journey to target for our testing. After choosing the target, we performed structured brainstorming activities to eventually land upon a design to test. All this was done in 5 days, and the results fed into to the design direction of the website.

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 1.39.41 PMScreen Shot 2017-01-20 at 1.39.41 PM
UI Design

Creating a style that used repeating patterns was important for building a site that was dynamic and easy to build upon. New pages were constantly going to be added, so relying on repeating elements allowed for easy scalability for the design.

G.com_UI-1G.com_UI-1
G.com_UI-4G.com_UI-4
Geotagging

Location placed a central role in defining the rest of the content presented to the user. When a user would visit the site, their location was automatically snap to our closest campus location so they were only seeing the content relavant to their location first, with the option of chaning this set location.

G.com_UI-2G.com_UI-2
G.com_UI-6G.com_UI-6
Stepped application flow

Another large effort during the redesign was placed on the application flow. The form was long, heavy and required a lot of time from the user to complete. To combat this, I split the form into steps with the progress saved after completion of each step. This allowed the user to complete the application in smaller digestable chunks, and revisit where they left off if they chose to navigate somewhere else.

G.com_UI-5G.com_UI-5
G.com_UI-8G.com_UI-8
G.com_sitemapG.com_sitemap
Front-end Pattern Library

To help keep our front-end pattern library organized and modular, I built the HTML and CSS for all of the page components in a separate repo that the Dev team could pull from as they built out the site. We used a framework called PatternLab, and used webhooks to notify the Dev team when changes were pushed up to our pattern library repo. You can view the full libary here, and check out some previews below.